Pages

Monday, July 24, 2017

A Tumbling Blocks Flimsy

Tumbling Blocks.  Super easy to do by hand, even with the "dreaded" Y-seam.  It's so easy to get a 3D look with just one template!

These diamonds finish at 1.5 inches per side.  They are assembled into units of 3 (easy to take with you) and can then be arranged and sewn together.  


The best part?  The neatness on the back!  Did you know that if you press each 3-piece unit exactly the same (clockwise or counterclockwise) the units fit together with opposing seams?  Who knew!?!?


Notice the furling of the seam allowances where six seams meet.  No bulk!


Even the unit seams furl (see furl at right below).  Notice the "trimmed" seam allowances?  Again, no bulk, and no shadowing of a dark fabric under a light.  I do trim both light and dark to reduce bulk and to make it easier to quilt (hand or machine).  Just be sure to NOT trim light and dark on the same seam.  That just gives you the same problems with less seam allowance ;-)  


Have I mentioned how much I love hand piecing?  Contrary to popular opinion, it's faster than setting in seams by machine and it's so portable.  Have you tried it yet?  (This is not EPP; no whip stitching involved or basting over paper, etc.)

Blissful hugs,
Sharon

Friday, July 21, 2017

Meow

Dickens reminded me that he's been absent from the blog for quite a while.  Enjoy!




Blissful July hugs,
Sharon

Wednesday, July 19, 2017

In My Spare Time

A couple months ago, a friend asked me to make some bedding for a doll cradle she had found at a sale.  Yes, I've made small quilts before, but never bedding--a challenge.

I had several small packs of fabric samples, roughly 2.5 inches square.  Yes, I did wash them--which made them varying sizes and not all 2.5 inches.  So I found the smallest square and cut every one the same.  I did spend some time laying these pieces out (I had more than I needed and eventually eliminated until I had this).


Knowing that it was going to a 2-year old, I machine quilted through each square to create a diagonal grid.  Light yellow thread was used on top and in the bobbin.

Here's the back:  Grandma LOVES tea!  So what could be more perfect!  (This is an older Diane Knott piece that I had in my stash.)  

I bound it in yellow solid (French double fold).


Here's the cradle--clean and shiny.  I made a small flannel pillow, stuffed with cotton.


And a mattress made from a new material that can be outside and does not retain water or smell funny.  I also made a cover for the mattress, also from the blue striped flannel.  (The stripes run the opposite way of the pillow.)  To make it more user friendly, I used the Kam snaps to close the cover, making it very easy to remove for washing.


Grandma and Grandpa loved it and so did the recipient!  It's been in use every day! 


So I have not been idle while I've been away from the blog.  I did try to post from my phone several times but they never showed up on the web.  Go figure....

Blissful (but quick; it's so darn hot) hugs,
Sharon