Wednesday, May 7, 2008

It was the best of times

Sunday at the Cortland Quilt Show gave me a chance to walk among the quilts and to meet new people and see some familiar faces that I hadn't seen in a while.

A quilter that I am totally in awe of is Ruth A. White. Below is her piece titled "Phase Shift". Notice the moon phases across the quilt's surface? Ruth combines the best of both worlds--true artistic vision and fantastic workmanship. Her Icicle quilt from about 4 years ago still intrigues me and is one of my favorite pieces. Ruth is also one of the kindest, nicest ladies I know. She's awesome!
One of my former students had a piece in the show--titled "Sharon's Classes". Joyce learned to hand applique in one of my classes, learned to hand quilt on the same piece, and then bound it in another class! What a thrill to see finished projects! Way to go, Joyce!

And last, but never least, here's a force to be reckoned with--Florence Blanchard, now of Cortland, New York. Florence has the most beautiful whitework and shadow trapunto I have ever seen. I have known Florence since I first started quilting. We don't get to see each other very often, but she holds a special place in my heart. (Florence is the good looking woman on the right in the picture--I'm the other one!)
I hope your weekend was great and that the start of this week went smoothly. I'll try to get some new pics up in the next couple days. Remember to tell someone how much you appreciate them.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for putting my Grandma's picture online (Florence Blanchard). SHe was very excited.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Leave me a comment...it's so lonely without hearing from you!