Thursday, December 30, 2010

Countdown

With just one day left in 2010 (the end of a decade), I've been trying to complete a few things.

Remember the blue snowflake batik behind the wristers a couple posts ago? Well, here's what I did with it. Three Black Spruce blocks from Judy Hopkins' 501 Rotary-cut Quilt Blocks. Nine inches finished, two inch sashing and two-and-a-half inch borders. Binding will be the same fabric as the borders. Nice long wallhanging and not too seasonal.


A detail shot of the blocks. Looks hard, but really isn't--shhhh, that's our secret!


I wanted to do a little something to put in a friend's holiday card. Raw edge ornaments are lots of fun and I don't feel bad if kids or animals (or naughty adults) give them a rough time. I papercut this pattern and then hand quilted it with Hobbs bleached cotton batting. I used Sulky Blendables in 12 wt. for the outside, and 40 wt. Mettler quilting thread for the detail work. Folk art fun!

Socks. I had one sock done months ago, and the second into the foot area. The yarn is Cascade Heirloom and the colors are much richer than they show in the pictures. I have one more pair that is one whole sock and the other is still on the ribbing--they will not be finished in 2010, but is by my chair to finish soon. I also started a hat as a gift (I wisely did not say which year it was going to be gifted!). And I have been doing some other hand quilting. And attempting to clean up my sewing rooms. I am going to have some new lighting put into my sewing rooms and am interested in hearing what you have and whether you like or dislike your choices. Remodeling is expensive enough when it is done once--having to re-do something because of an error in judgment is just ludicrous.


That's it for tonight. I will be sure to post tomorrow night to finish off the year. Hope everyone has enjoyed the holidays so far. And remember to designate a driver if you are going to be out and about Friday night.

Hugs,
Sharon

2 comments:

  1. Happy and Safe New Year to you Sharon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took over our finished basement as a sewing room a couple of years ago. Great space but the light was not great. I lived with it for a while with floor lamps, the existing overhead lights, etc...THEN...had my go-to guy come in. He put in a long piece of track lighting along one wall...I have several lights above my cutting area, and a couple more that I move along the track as I need....nearer a chair, the ironing board, etc. I also replaced my ceiling fixtures with "circular" track lights...each one has 3 lights that can be moved in almost any direction...now I have as much light as I need and it can all be adjusted.....

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Leave me a comment...it's so lonely without hearing from you!