Monday, October 13, 2008

Okay! Okay!!

Having been properly chastised (several times) by "Annoying" (you know who you are!!!), I will make a more concerted effort to update the blog more frequently. I didn't realize how much you missed my ramblings when I am absent! So here we go!

First up is A.J. from Pennsylvania, who traveled to O'Susannah's in Watkins Glen for Monthly Bliss 2. She finished her top over the summer and look how beautiful it is! Using only fabric from her stash, A.J. was concerned that she wouldn't have enough of her border fabric. Her luck held and she was able to not only get out her borders but to miter them as well! She said she only had about 4 inches of fabric left--that's close! A.J. is back for Hexagon Bliss this year and her fabric selections are equally stunning.


On October 6, also at O'Susannah's, I taught the Goose in the Pond block as a skill builder. Students learn what I call the Big 3: Cutting, piecing and pressing. You need all three to get good results. Claire B. completed her block in class--the dark brown and turquoise fabrics were a wonderful choice--and her block measured exactly 15.5 inches unfinished! And her points were perfect. She has good reason to be smiling so broadly--great job, Claire!

On Saturday, I was able to visit the New Quilters on the Block show in Candor, New York. It was wonderful to see so many quilts that I had seen started in classes. Usually teachers don't get to see the final results--so this was a special treat. I will have more pictures from the show in the next post.

This is Nancy C.'s "Star Sampler" quilt--all grown up and finished. This was a 10 month class at Pucky Huddle Delight in Candor, where students learned to properly rotary cut and precision machine piece. Nancy chose not to add a border, instead letting the blocks float, with the sashing and background matching. Here is a close-up of the quilting on one of the blocks. Nancy is making two quilts for this year's Southwest Sampler, one of old-fashioned brown and navy, and one in purple batiks. Both are so striking.

On the right side bar of the blog, you will notice a couple new things. First, you can subscribe to my blog and receive notification when I update. Also, I have started a list of blogs that I regularly frequent. This also tells when they recently updated. I will continue to add to the list, but these are blogs I try to visit every day. What do you like best about reading blogs? Are you looking for information or just entertainment or a little of both?

Next time, more quilt show pics and a look at perseverance in action. Remember to do something good for yourself today--you're worth it!

2 comments:

  1. HURRAY!! You did it =))) The annoying one shall go back into retreat..for the moment.

    I like reading logs to stay current with what is going on in other people's lives that I don't see often enough. It also lets me learn new things that I may not come across otherwise. The quilts were all wonderful, such a nice job ladies!

    HUGS

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  2. The answer to your question is "yes." I read for information and for amusement.

    I'm still waiting for the new favorite quilt batting announcement...but I can be very very patient.

    Janet

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Leave me a comment...it's so lonely without hearing from you!