Tuesday, August 4, 2009

A Bit of Blanket Stitch Applique

In one of the previous posts, you saw pictures of Callie "helping" with a top in progress. I thought I would share more of that with you.

This pattern is from Quiltmaker (July/August '09 issue) and was designed by Edyta Sitar. If you take a look at her sample, you will see it is done in much darker colors with a more patterned background. I chose to use all batiks in mine, including the background.


Here is a close-up of the stitching. The leaf at the upper right of the picture has not yet been stitched. I used 60 wt. Mettler cotton thread to do the applique with a tiny hand blanket stitch. The dark green stems were made with the Clover 1/4 inch bias tape maker and were hand appliqued. It's a lovely design and will eventually have a series of borders surrounding the center.

That's about it for tonight. See you Wednesday or Thursday--only time will tell which one it will be!

Hugs,
Sharon

3 comments:

  1. OOOOOHHHHHHH... I like it! Of course I am picturing Thimbleberries fabrics.... grin

    I was fortunate to come across a nifty book at the library book sale, Janet Evanovich's To The Nines. After your rave review I bought it (who can go wrong for $4.00) and I started it the other day. The imagery is quite interesting, to put it mildly! The first chapter opens with her watching (later subduing) a bail jumper that is naked and covered in vaseline... Now if that isn't some fodder for a fascinating mental image, I don't know what is. I am curious if you have read the entire series??? Are they all this interesting..???LOL
    HUGS
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sharon--guess what???? I now own nearly the "WHOLE LINE" OF THE #60 applique thread--I bought 68 spools today at Sue's--Plus a lot of other quilting supplies--i made her day!!! I love the applique you are doing--pretty and bright colored--keep stitching--Hugs, just, Di:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That applique is beautiful - so fine!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Leave me a comment...it's so lonely without hearing from you!