Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Forty Years and a Quilt

About three years ago, I was working a sale at Pucky Huddle Delight in Candor when a customer asked if anyone knew about Dresden Plates. Multiple fingers pointed at me and thus the story begins. Katherine Mattoon had always dreamed of making a Dresden Plate quilt. Her 40th anniversary was approaching and she decided to see if she could make her dream a reality. Her family gathered, bringing scraps of fabric with them. And even those who did not sew were able to hand piece the plates. Each person then signed the block and added a reference to a favorite Bible passage. Katherine did all the applique and hand embroidered the signatures and verse references. Every stitch, including the long seams to put the blocks together has been done by hand.
A close-up of Katherine's block.

Her granddaughter, Gabrielle, got into the act--her hand was traced and stitched.



And this is Gabrielle's mom's block.


You just never know what will happen from one day to the next. Katherine brought the quilt to show me a couple weeks ago. What a wonderful surprise! Great job, Katherine! Here's to many more happy years of wedded bliss!

For those of you waiting for your prizes--remember good things come to those who wait. I am hand piecing a bit of the prize and just have to sit and get to it. I hope to have some evening time this weekend to "git 'er done". Rest assured that I have not forgotten!

Thanks to all who have commented recently. It's always good to know someone is out there!

Hugs to all,
Sharon

P.S. Just read The Checklist Manifesto by Atul Gawande. Excellent! (Non-fiction.) I am listening to Jonathan Kellerman's Flesh and Blood and just finished Dr. Death.



2 comments:

  1. Hi Sharon, As always, it was so nice to find your new post, and fun to see some of those dresden plates again. That quilt really is lovely. I'm so glad that I was was there to see it when she stopped by to show you. Wow! Prizes! That's right! I had forgotten. Boy, life and work are definitely too much when I forgot something fun like a prize. I'll waiting with great anticipation. I won't say patiently, because we both know that would be a lie. GRIN Big Hugs, Jay

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great story! What a great idea for a quilt - she did a fabulous job. I wish I could have seen it in person. Any prize or good thing is always worth the wait:)

    Cindy O

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Leave me a comment...it's so lonely without hearing from you!