Monday, August 25, 2014

Mug Rugs

 I'm really late to this party!  (Does that make me fashionable?  It would be the first time ever!)  Recently I did a search for mug rugs, just to see what was out there.  Well, apparently, they were really popular several years ago!  One of the sites I found is:  http://pin-sew-press.blogspot.com/2010/10/another-mug-rug-and-tips-for-sewing.html.  I also found links to several other sites, where there were tutorials on different styles of mug rugs.  (If you are interested, do a search and see what comes up--it's pretty cool!)

Some sites gave patterns with precise directions, others did not.  For this one, from Mary's site, there was no pattern.  But I knew the overall size and started cutting.

Simple piecing, simple machine quilting, binding--Bob's your uncle, and you're done!


I did hand sew the binding down.  Someone who saw this on a counter said I couldn't have done it because it was all by machine!  In the infamous words of Gomer Pyle, "Surprise, surprise, surprise!"  They are so quick and fun--and what a great place to be creative.  Sizes run around 6.5 x 7.5.  No set number--just big enough for a mug and a treat--chocolate, cookie, whatever you want!  They also make great places to lay down scissors and other tools near your sewing machine.  Or how about for setting candles on (in glass, properly protected, of course; in other words, do not make this into a fire hazard!).


How about you?  Bet you can't make just one!  My alleged brain is just spinning with ideas!  Be sure to let me know what you come up with!

Blissful hugs,
Sharon

P.S.  I am listening to The Collector by Nora Roberts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy! Leave me a comment...it's so lonely without hearing from you!