Thursday, April 10, 2008

The Results

Many thanks to those of you who responded to my quandry. I just couldn't leave the blocks together, so I spent part of the day frog stitching (rip it, rip it) and resewing the blocks into tops. Here's what I came up with. I decided to use a batik with a bit more color in it for the borders. Surprisingly, I only had a fat quarter of it, but was able to finish both tops. There was only about an inch left, plus a few scraps! I like the counterpoint between the curved applique and the sharp lines of the squares.

The all points block was a bit harder to decide on a set. The block looks better on point, but the darker fabric was too over-powering for the center. So I framed the block with the similar print and then added the pink background again as corners. Having the additional pink opened the block up and makes it more lively. I plan to do lots of quilting in the corners, perhaps in a dark or variegated thread to show more.

I'm happy with the results. I know some of you thought the runner was fine--what do you think about the new tops?

Other than prepping for two classes on Thursday (Bliss) and one on Sunday (Hand Pieced Hexagons), that's all the sewing I did today--but it was very satisfying.

I hope you threaded your needle today!


  1. I knew you would come up with the right solution! They are fantastic! What a difference the setting makes. And thanks for the inspiration to "stick with it" and solve the dilemma. I would have wadded it up and stuck it in a corner for another day - which never comes.

    We're hoping to see those mini hand piecing classes (all 3) in the Syracuse area soon!


  2. Perfect solution. I like it much better than the runner.

  3. Perfect! i love the interest that checked border added to the curved piece. It really enhanced it overall.

    I actually DID put thread to needle today and it was pure joy.


  4. I agree, they look super. Thanks for the class tonight!!! Paula


Don't be shy! Leave me a's so lonely without hearing from you!