Monday, June 30, 2008

The Magic of Lightning Bugs

Friday night the sky was overcast, so no moonlight relieved the darkness. Lynnie and I went into the backyard where no artificial lights shown. And there we lived the magic of the lightning bugs--the sky was full of the little flashing lights. Some were so close you could catch them (I leave them alone) and some darted here and there. It was like a personal light show--mini fireworks. It's just so incredible to stand in the dark and be surrounded by tiny flashing lights that extend as far as the eye can see in any direction. I remember reading that lightning bugs are only in certain parts of the country--what a shame that so many will never experience them.

I thought you might enjoy seeing some of my treasures. Below is my roll top desk topped with crystal candle holders, candles, a pink Santa, and various other pretties. There is a string of white lights intertwined through the items and it is an especially impressive show at night. The painting is an original by Kay Stash. I leave up the things I like year-round. Why hide them and enjoy them only at certain times of the year?

Here is the display on the top of my refrigerator. The church was made by Kay's late husband, Andy, and is surrounded by pieces of white china and two handmade candlesticks. The swan sitting in the dish had originally been a swan planter. Unfortunately, it got dropped right after I bought it, but I couldn't bear to just throw the head/neck/front part away. The dish was a perfect was to display what was left, and it adds a bit of uniqueness to the display. For the record, my refrigerator is covered with family pictures and interesting bits and pieces. Most would think it a bit messy-looking, but I like having my favorite things in plain site.

Yesterday I taught 10 ladies how to hand piece little Thimble quilts. They are so cute and easy to make. For one of the ladies, it was her very first quilting class ever--she did so well that you would think she'd been quilting forever! A wide range of fabrics were used; some concentrating on themes (Christmas, florals, etc.) and some taking a more random approach. It was a great time and a wonderful way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

I have bound another 5-pointed star quilt, have the binding almost hand sewn down on another Dresden Plate. At the moment I am hard at work getting ready for my teaching trip to Florida next week. New handouts, samples, stuff for the trunk show--trying to figure out what I can fit into my carry on in case my check through bag doesn't get there--ah, the joys of being a traveling quilt teacher. And you thought it was all glamour!

A beautiful doe not far from my window--do you ever wonder if the animals/birds are as interested in watching us as we are in them? Did the turtle from a few posts ago go home and say "Some crazy lady with a black thing in her hand kept talking to me and clicking the black thing--what a weirdo-I was lucky to escape unscathed!"

Remember to practice safe rotary cutting--always cut away from yourself and to keep the guard on when you are not actually cutting. You offenders already know who you are--but, I will be the first to say "I told you so!" when you cut yourself! Don't make me go there.

Happy Monday--and sew something, already! It'll make you feel better!

2 comments:

  1. Humm, remember to cut away from yourself with a rotary cutter. I may have heard that recently someplace else besides your blog.

    Nancy A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not know that those neat little lighting bugs were not everywhere. What do those places have that we are missing?

    Thanks for the gentle reminder to take time and enjoy the simple, yet amazing things around us everyday.

    And as for that turtle, I think he was posing so he could be your next original design, He was clearly envious of that snake!

    mary kay

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Leave me a comment...it's so lonely without hearing from you!