Friday, July 4, 2008

Happy Birthday, America!

July 4th. More than half of 2008 has passed. Remember when we were lamenting the horrible winter weather? Doesn't it seem like yesterday?

Let's take a moment today (as we should every day) to thank our soldiers, wherever they are serving, for making our way of life possible. No matter how much people complain about our country, there are lots of other places much worse. What always amazes me is that the people who complain the loudest are not moving to the places they deem better. Each of us can make a difference to those around us. For better...or for worse. Complaining with no action to do better is pretty worthless. Almost doing something is the same as doing nothing.

On a lighter note, I finished my mom's socks. And I managed to do the Kitchner stitch on the second toe. (Thanks, Barb--the new handouts did the trick!) I have cast on a pair of light grey socks in worsted wool--I do have to admit that sock knitting is addicting. If you are afraid to try socks, get "Getting Started Knitting Socks" by Ann Budd. The directions are wonderful and, if you take each step as it comes, totally achievable. I am currently on the lookout for some funky self-striping yarn to make a pair of ruffled socks--and not for a little girl either!

I've been writing new handouts for a two-day class on applique and started a new sample to go with them.

Have you read the new Janet Evanovich book--Fearless Fourteen? It's laugh out loud good! All of her Stephanie Plum series is fantastic--give it a try! I've also been listening to David Baldacci, Iris Johanson, James Patterson, Nora Roberts. You can get lots accomplished when you listen to audio books.

Happy Birthday, America! Let's all celebrate our fabulous country and its rich and varied history. Hurray for the US of A!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy! Leave me a comment...it's so lonely without hearing from you!