Thursday, February 28, 2013

Perfect Hand-Piecing Pins

Being a pin snob, I am very particular about which pins I use for each task.  My most favorite pins for hand piecing were the Little House pins (made in Japan) that came in a cute glass jar.  Several years ago, they seemed to disappear from stores and catalogs in America.  Never fear, I had so many a few bottles in stock.  But parading my special pins in classes when students could not get them seemed mean.  So I started searching for an alternative.

A few months ago, I found Clover #2520 pins at Keepsake Quilting and on Amazon.  So I ordered two bottles.  There are only 30 pins per bottle (15 blue and 15 red).


Small tubes which you can stack for storage, but I put all mine on pincushions (wool, of course).



A bit of a close-up of the packaging.



All 30 pins in their glory.



At just under 1-inch long, with glass heads, they are not as apt to stick you while you are sewing.  Okay, the glass heads have nothing to do with sticking you, but you can iron over them.



Here they are in action.  Surprisingly, I like them better than the Little House pins, which I thought would never happen.



Tomorrow is March 1 (already).  Give yourself the gift of new hand piecing pins for March.  You'll be glad you did.  (I have not seen these pins at any of the local quilt shops yet, but you could ask if they would carry them.  Then we can keep the business local.)


Blissful hugs,

Sharon

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the info Sharon! I was thinking the other day I needed to replace my pins. I will certainly give these a try! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sharon. It's always fun trying something new - you never know when you'll find something you really like.

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the information Sharon...I just found your website and blog because of my best friend...her name is Sharon Kennedy-Luce and she was the niece of your husband, I believe. She and I have been friends for many years and I am trying to get her started in sewing and quilting..just wanted to say Hi from Indiana.

    Helen Lee

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just getting ready to invest in some Little House pins. Can you tell me why you like these better?

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Leave me a comment...it's so lonely without hearing from you!