Friday, December 19, 2014

Testing, Testing

We've all asked the questions--what iron are you using?  Do you like it?  Does it leak?  Does it have enough steam?

I think an iron is as personal a choice as a handbag.  I have an older Rowenta (think double-digit years old) that still works but doesn't steam quite as well as when it was new, and near the iron end of the cord it is getting a little warm.  I have tried other irons and have had marginal luck at best.  I knew I had a lot of pressing to do over the next few weeks, so I meandered down the ironing aisle of a local box store.  I am not a big fan of auto-off, but that seems to be the way of irons at the moment.  

Here's what I came home with: 


Eight minutes until it goes off in the upright position.  Not a lot of time--but when the iron is tipped to reactivate it, it does not take long to reheat.  The cord moves up and down within the stand (which is triangular and very sturdy), so that the cord does not bunch up the fabric you just ironed.  Water reservoir is easy to fill.  LOTS of steam and the iron glides smoothly.


There is one model that is 1750 watts of power, but the color was a dark gray and, with everything outside seemingly so gray, I wanted something brighter.  I like the color of this model (not that color has to be your determining factor).  But it was an extra $10 for only 50 watts more.  In my mind, late at night, brighter won over more power (and you know that is seldom the case in my world of More Power Always!).  You can see the triangular base here.  Lightweight iron overall.  But still gets the job done.


The control panel--steam/no steam lever, burst of steam, spray, filling station.  The only thing I am still getting used to is the spray.  It seems to spray out well away from the iron--like across the width of the ironing board.  But I also have a spray bottle of water close at hand.  A minor inconvenience at best.  And it's probably the crazy person operating it.  And at about $35 I can get used to it.


So now you have my opinion on this iron.  No official testing, just real life use.  I do not get endorsement fees or free products to try.  Please feel free to leave comments about what irons you like and why.

Happy Hanukkah to those celebrating that tradition.

Blissful holiday hugs,
Sharon

P.S.  I am listening to W is for Wasted by Sue Grafton.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy! Leave me a comment...it's so lonely without hearing from you!