Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Flimsies and Flimsy-Nots

A few weeks ago, I was lucky enough to spend some time with like-minded quilters.  Here are some pics of what they have been accomplishing.

First, Cindy O. who finished hand-piecing her 32-point Mariner's Compass.  This is a design I taught about three years ago.  The fabric for the eight main star points is just fabulous and brought the entire design to life.


Emily had not one, but two, flimsy-nots!  First is Monthly Bliss Doubled, the perfect mix of hand piecing and hand applique!  Civil War reproduction fabrics are stunning in this design.  Note the border!


And Emily's second "not" is Monthly Bliss 1.  The setting fabrics are perfect for making those hand-pieced stars shine.


Gale's version of Mariner's Compass Bliss.  If you look carefully you will see that all of the background is not the same.   Gale chose to use a few similar backgrounds to give the quilt more depth and to look like "black holes".  Just stunning.


And Gale finished her Monthly Bliss 3 flimsy.  The blocks are hand-pieced, and the setting fabrics are well-chosen to support those beautiful blocks.


And last for tonight, but never least, is Traci with her "not".  This is Mariner's Compass Bliss, with hand-pieced blocks.  Traci longarmed this herself, and I love the multi-colored binding!

Thank you, ladies, for sharing and for giving me even more reason to be proud of my students.  You are the best!

For those of you who are wondering what all the "Bliss" is about....  In my humble opinion, something good should happen to women at least once a month (we all have lots of not so great things that happen every month), so I started teaching long-term block of the month classes and named them all with Bliss in the title.  I have Monthly Bliss 1, Monthly Bliss 2, Monthly Bliss 3, Hexagon Bliss, Monthly Bliss Doubled, and Mariner's Compass Bliss. All hand-pieced, and some are even set by hand!  One of my students said we should be called "Bliss-ters", not to be confused with blisters which are very bad.  Our bliss is excellent!

I'm not exactly sure where the summer went, but it went too quickly.  Stay tuned for more cool stuff!

Blissful hugs,
Sharon

P.S.  I am listening to The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy! Leave me a comment...it's so lonely without hearing from you!