Friday, December 25, 2009

Merry Christmas, Everyone!

Did everyone have a great Christmas day? I spent lots of time with family and some time finishing gifts and actually wrapping them! (Okay, you caught me--I should have stock in gift bags and tissue paper!)

Remember when I told you about the raw-edge ornaments I do each year at the Groton Public Library? Well, here are two pics for you. This year was a holly leaf, embellished with a red button "berry". I used Sulky 12 wt. variegated thread and Legacy soy/cotton batting. They are quick and easy gifts or work great as gift tags. Think outside the Christmas holidays--Easter, Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's Day--the list is endless. How about baby bottle or rattle ornaments/tags? Be sure to sign the back so everyone knows who made these little gems!

A close-up. I actually make the hanger as I sew on the button. Who said quilter's don't do buttons? Well, okay--only when we want to!


I also finished a knitted hat. A Penny Straker design--each pattern has great tips and usually two or three items or variations. I couldn't figure out how to change to a different size circular in the middle of the hat for Magic Loop, so I knit these on straights. It was like a blast from the past! And I did a modified mattress stitch to sew the seam. Lays flat, no bulk, looks pretty good! I especially like the double fabric over the ears.

For those of you celebrating other holidays, I hope your day was equally special. For tonight, cozy up in a quilt with a warm cup of cocoa and enjoy the holiday lights. The lights are the one thing from Christmas that I wish we could see all year round--okay, I guess I'd better modify that wish--the tiny white or bluish tint lights--not the inflatables, and probably not the icicle lights in the summer. Hey--it's MY wish, so I can be as picky as I want. YOU can make your own wish for or against lighting year round. Maybe I can add this to my presidential platform! I only have three years to campaign--I'd better start early!
Merry Christmas, everyone! And to all a good night!
Hugs,
Sharon

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sharon, :) Merry Christmas! Here I am to comment. (GRIN) I agree about those ugly inflatable decorations - you should definitely do away with them as part of your presidential platform. The little white lights are always nice, and I especially like the old-fashioned large colored bulbs. Those remind me of Christmas when I was a kid. Fun! That's a nice hat! Looks like it should be nice and warm. Take care. Hugs, Jay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas Sharon!!!!! Cookies....need holiday cookies!!!!!

    HUGS
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Leave me a comment...it's so lonely without hearing from you!