Sunday, July 12, 2009

Day Twelve

It's been an absolutely beautiful day here in the Finger Lakes Region of New York. Mid-70s, low humidity--loving every minute of it! Spent part of the day weeding flower beds and decided to share a gardening tip with you.

I had an old ladder that was too rickety to climb on and my dad painted it cream. Then we set it into the ground with stakes to anchor it and planted a trumpet vine in the middle. That was several years ago and you can see the results! (Actually, I just remembered that originally there was a dead white birch tree that the vine was climbing. Unfortunately, the tree got dry rot and fell down during a storm, leaving the vine with nowhere to climb. So the ladder was its second home and I guess the ladder was centered over the vine.) Anyways, it is a great use for an old ladder.


My dad also made me bird houses to put on the ladder. There is a single house on the top of the ladder (you can see the bird at the very top--it rotates!) and then there is a two family dwelling on the paint can ledge. All three are usually full. The birds like that there is so much foliage and that they are so protected. Do be forewarned--trumpet vines are very invasive. From the original one, as I was weeding today, I found at least seven more. And I am still cutting them off from the original planting site near the back door. I'll try to remember to post a pic when the blossoms are fully out.

We had major thunderstorms with high wind yesterday and I had a big branch from the Black Walnut tree come down. Of course it landed right where I mow, so I took my non-motorized camp saw out and sawed it up. Also cut down a volunteer tree that was too near the front porch. So many volunteers--trees, WEEDS, bleeding heart plants, four butterfly bushes (loving those)....

Last night I did a bit more hand blanket stitching on my Quiltmaker piece. I'll show it off when I get it a bit further along.

That's it for now. Remember to smile, especially at work--it makes people wonder what you are up to!

Hugs,
Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy! Leave me a comment...it's so lonely without hearing from you!