Sunday, January 1, 2017

The Tale of a Twice Quilted Quilt

 In early December I finished hand piecing this coffin piece.  I basted it and started hand quilting it.  I drew the leaves freehand and quilted them with a Sulky Blendable 12 wt.  A hera marker and ruler were used to mark the "bee" pieces, quilted with a 40 wt. cotton.

I was almost done, removing the basting as I finished an area of quilting, when I decided I just did not like how it looked.   Sigh....



Since the quilt was still partially basted and the rest had been quilted, I decided I didn't have to rebaste; I could use the already-quilted areas in place of basting while I remarked and quilted.  I love the lines of a stencil I've used several times, sort of a flame design with a very organic feel.  You can see a portion of the requilting here.  I removed the leaf quilting as I went.  I requilted with a 40 wt Mettler in a solid which blended better with the background.  (I believe one of the reasons I did not like the original leaf pattern may have been the 12 wt. thread.  12 wt is very thick and makes a strong statement.  It overpowered the bee fabrics.)



Here you can see the leaf quilting and the new lines to be quilted, marked with a Clover white Chaco-liner.  


I even requilted the bee fabric with a slightly more matching thread.  

And here is the result.  I am so happy that I followed my instincts and requilted this piece.


I probably shouldn't mention that this is not the first time I have requilted something, should I?

Blissful New Year's Hugs,
Sharon

P.S.  Sorry about the lack of cropping on some of the pictures--my photo editing software is on my other computer, which I can no longer hook to the internet. :( 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy! Leave me a comment...it's so lonely without hearing from you!