Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Bittersweet

It has been a bittersweet day. Earlier today I learned that one of my favorite students passed away from breast cancer. She was such a vibrant, happy woman--she will be sorely missed by so many. She and her daughter-in-law took my Monthly Bliss classes for the past two years--always smiling, always a great sense of humor. Regina, I miss you already.

This evening was like a mini reunion with Carol, Jay, Marion, Nancy, Karen and Rose. Karen and Rose drove down from Skaneateles (over an hour away) and Jay comes from an hour away. We had a great time looking at old quilts I got last week (I'll post pictures some day--don't hold your breath!), looking at applique quilts and refreshing some fine points on applique and hand quilting. Marion is working on crazy quilt blocks--she's going to try to not repeat any of the hand embroidery stitches! Carol was working on a quilt-as-you-go tablerunner as a gift and it wasn't going well. We think we got things figured out so she can finish--I told her to name it "Easy--NOT" or "Tablerunner from Hades". The pleasure of being surrounded by like-minded people in an atmosphere of sharing and stitching. Who could ask for more?

As this day ends, I am again reflecting on how uncertain life is and how we should not take a single moment for granted. What seems so terrible this minute will seem like nothing tomorrow. Have you told someone today that you love them? Have you done something nice just for you today? As I always tell my mom: "You have to put your oxygen mask on first--before you help someone else." So please put your oxygen mask on and breathe deeply. And, again...can you feel the calm coming over you?

You are each special--spread that specialness around.

Hugs to you all,
Sharon

2 comments:

  1. I am sooo sorry about your student and friend Regina--It is all so sad--why do people and pets have to die anyway??? I go downstairs and fix tea for a cancer friend of mine here--she is refusing more Chemo--so!!! I count each day a blessing that I am still able to see her and laugh with her!!
    You are special, yourself, Sharon, and please don;t ever forget that!
    Hugs, Di

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon, I'm currently here in Rochester,NY living at the Ronald McDonald house with my DDIL and my 3 year old granddaughter who is currenlty undergoing radiation after having had a cancerous brain tumor removed. I know so very much how life can change in the blink of an eye. Everyone needs to know the brief time we're here on this earth is the only time we can leave our mark, help others, be a blessing to others. Take care, sylvia and my heart goes out to you.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Leave me a comment...it's so lonely without hearing from you!