Saturday, July 14, 2012

My New Quilt Batting, Part 2

As promised, more samples using the new batting--Quilters Dream Poly Request.

Black fabric, white batting, cream colored back, green variegated thread 40 wt.



Muslin both sides, 40 wt. variegated thread.




I also tried several small samples of the Quilters Dream Cotton Request.  These are muslin both sides with 12 wt. Sulky Blendable thread.  I am very happy with this batt.  With less than 1% shrinkage, the company does not even recommend preshrinking.  The cotton batting has a wonderful drape and is available in cream and white.





Sunday I will finish this up with pics of the other two quilts I finished with the poly batt.  I've been teaching my hand quilting classes with the new poly batt and students have been thrilled with it.


Blissful hugs until Sunday,
Sharon

5 comments:

  1. I came upon your website because I am a very novice quilter, machine and trying to teach myself to handquilt. I came across thimble lady tutorials, and have found them to be functionally awkward, do you have a website or an online course I could sign up for that I could teach myself after I get off work, this quilting helps me unwind at the end of a work day, any suggestions concerning online courses so I can view them on my time would be greatly appreciated anything - thank you in advance for any visual help you can give me, words just don't help a whole lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon,

    I made a wallhanging that included eggshell Moda Marbles print that now reads like a white solid--Ahhh!

    A fellow (experienced) quilter told me to use a black batt, it will help bring out the parchment-y print.

    I have put a dark fabric underneath my wallhanging and between my dark back--didn't make a particle of difference. I also looked online, and the reviews are that black batts will drag your print down--which, there really isn't one anyway.

    Can I get your opinion?

    Thanks,

    Intermiediate Quilter
    (very upset with Self! I will laugh about it later!) :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS--I put the dark fabric underneath for a review. I haven't quilted yet.

    Intermediate Quilter

    ReplyDelete
  4. Help please. I am making a reversible table cloth and want an absolute minimum of pouf. I plan to use Quilters Dream Request batting as it is the thinnest. However, the manufacturer says not to preshrink. The 1% shrinkage still gives too much pouf. Any recommendations for how to preshrink?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The previous questions from Unknown about a reversible table cloth are from Linda, an intermediate quilter. You should know I'm using cotton batting because I want to line the tablecloth with Insulbrite to protect the antique table it will cover.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Leave me a comment...it's so lonely without hearing from you!