Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Holiday Brunch Casserole

I know it's after the holidays, but this is a fabulous recipe for any time!


Holiday Brunch Casserole (recipe from Jimmy Dean sausage)


1 package Jimmy Dean Regular Pork Sausage (cooked, drained and crumbled)
4.5 cups cubed day old bread
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
10 eggs, slightly beaten
4 cups whole milk
1 tsp. dry mustard
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. onion powder
Fresh ground pepper to taste
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms (optional)
1/2 cup peeled, chopped tomatoes (optional)


Place bread in well-buttered 9 x 13" baking dish.  Sprinkle with cheese.  Combine the next six ingredients.  Pour evenly over the bread and cheese.  Sprinkle sausage and optional ingredients over the top.  Cover and chill overnight.  Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Bake uncovered for about one hour.  Tent with foil if top begins to brown too quickly.  Serves 6.


Sharon's Notes:  I am especially fond of Italian bread (the freshly baked stuff).  I have it sliced and then let it sit a day before use.  I just tear it up--no cubing for me!  I cut up an 8 oz. package of mushrooms and layer on top.  I have not used the tomatoes.  


This is mmmmmm-mmmmmm-yummy!  It's a favorite of my family and the leftovers are as good or better than the first meal.  Start this Saturday night and have a wonderful Sunday brunch!


Hugs,
Sharon

2 comments:

  1. this is our Christmas morning breakfast casserole ! Don't you just love it. It has to be left sitting overnight..if you don't, it won't rise and be nice and fluffy. My original recipe called for croutons (unseasoned), but I do like it made with the bread better. yum, yum. Michele

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sharon - love this recipe!!
    The comment you left on my blog was hysterical - but then, why was I surprised - coming from you, what else but a hysterical comment?? Take care, I enjoy keeping up with your antics..
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Leave me a comment...it's so lonely without hearing from you!