Monday, July 12, 2010

There's Something About Hollyhocks

Ever since I was very young I have loved hollyhocks. My maternal grandmother had them growing along side the house while I was growing up.

Several years ago, after we built our house, I had the perfect spot for hollyhocks on the east side of the house. I planted about six plants each year for two years and have never bought them since. The trick is to let the stalks dry each fall and then cut them down and put them flat onto the flower beds. The seeds fall out into the mulch and, voila, hundreds of baby hollyhock plants. Last year I gave cups of them away and they are blooming in other people's gardens this year. The even more surprising thing is that the colors change every year. This year I have a crimson flower, along with several shades of pink. Some years I have yellow, a pale lavender, a dark almost black maroon. It's the luck of the draw!



Same flower, just ever closer. I can understand Georgia O'Keefe's fascination with flowers!

On the quilting front, I have put binding on two tablerunners and a small gingerbreadman cutwork design. I was actually able to use a brown binding on the gbman that I had made and decided not to use on something else--apparently quite some time ago, because I don't remember what I originally thought it would work for! I took apart an applique sample and reset it with the other six blocks (for a total of 9) and it looks marvelous! Also made some changes to a second set of these applique blocks, but didn't get a chance to applique them today. I have one other quilt ready to bind, but Callie keeps laying on the fabric laid out on the cutting table. So maybe I'll do that tomorrow!

I'm listening to "U is for Undertow" by Sue Grafton and reading "Sizzling Sixteen" by Janet Evanovich. Both are excellent. Just finished listening to "Blue-Eyed Devil" by Robert B. Parker. It was especially poignant as this will be the last in that series, as Mr. Parker passed away earlier this year. I am a big fan of all of his books--a big loss to the literary world.

Gotta run for now. It's almost midnight--the witching hour--shall I keep quilting or shall I go to bed? Hmmmm...you'll have to tune in tomorrow to see which!

Hugs,
Sharon

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sharon, The hollyhocks are lovely! The remind me of one of my maiden aunt who always had them growing near her house. Boy, you have been busy on the quilting front. Good for you! I'm think about getting out the fabric dyes and dyeing up bunches of colors. FUN! Well, it seems that our weather is taking a turn toward the HOT and HUMID once more. Such is summer in our part of NY. Big Hugs, Jay

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Leave me a comment...it's so lonely without hearing from you!